Sunday, March 18, 2012

Do you like your name?

Here's what kept me in bed yesterday afternoon until early morning today. Flipping through pages and thinking of the question: Do I really like my name?

This is my second book written by an Indian author. I love how the Indian culture and family traditions narrated in all those books.


The book is about a boy named Gogol, named after the Russian writer Nikolai Gogol, born and raised in an Indian household in Massachusetts. Growing up he hated his name so much that he eventually changed to Nikhil, legally. 
Gogol went to Yale as Nikhil, became an architect and worked in New York. The story is a descriptive narration of Indian family traditions, living in America and keeping that tradition taken from the point of view of Gogol's Indian mother Ashima and Gogol himself.


Beautifully written. You will be taken back in time from the year 1968 to 2000, and yes I cried.

Now I am back to the question: Do I really like my name?

When I was growing up like Gogol, I don't like my name too. Mine is very hard to pronounce, I always get asked how to pronounce it properly. In transacting over the phone, it would take minutes for the person in the other end to get it, I have to spell it all the time. I would usually say, 'its Cathy with an N and an E'. sigh. My friends call me other names: Kate, Katya, Kuring. 

Now I don't mind at all. I have learned to like my name. 

(just remember it's Cathy with an N and an E, okay)

How about you, do you like your name?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...